Re: Working source packages available

Ian Murdock writes:

> Maintainers should download the packages and begin preparing them.
> I'll be releasing the source package guidelines before the end of
> the week, and as soon as we work out some of the dpkg internals
> we'll be releasing the binary package guidelines.

We have almost completed our preliminary assessment of "who is doing
what".  Jim Robinson <jimr@simons-rock.edu> has been keeping track of
all the projects and I've kept busy contacting various maintainers.
If you were contacted and you aren't sure what is going on, please
wait until the package listings are posted sometime in the next day or
two.  If you must, please mail both Jim and me.

> The base system in binary and source form will be soon to follow
> (along with the packages that I will be maintaining, such as GCC).
> We hope that the new package maintainers can have packages ready
> within a few weeks after this happens.

Please remember that Ian made the source distribution a major priority
in order to help the new package maintainers.  I hope that this
planning will help shorten a "few weeks" somewhat.

Also, after this preliminary source distribution, the maintainers will
be in charge of their own source and making it available according to
the Debian guidelines.

I think that does it.  Ian, did I get it all?

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan  <quinlan@spectrum.cs.bucknell.edu>