make install and owners and groups

I have a minor question about the Debian Guidelines posted March 15.

It says:
> In essence, strive for a source package that will generate the
> equivalent binary package with a simple `make install' and nothing
> more.
..
> Binaries (normal):	*/bin, */sbin		0755		root.bin

Does this mean that make install should use a command like "install -o
root -g bin" rather than a simple "install" or "cp"?  (To put it an
other way, are owner and group considered part of an "equivalent
binary package"?)

Have a nice day.
-Sal. <svalente@mit.edu>