user/group -- my compromise proposal

   From: pat@it.com.au (Pat Mackinlay)
   Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 00:16:20 +0800 (WST)

   Sorry to bring this up *yet again*, but is there any chance at all that
   you could make the "default" uid "bin" or something other than root? As
   I've said before, the only major advantage is that it makes suid root
   binaries easier to spot, but I consider that important enough that I'd
   like to see it done.

   If it's too hard or whatever, I can understand and I'll just do it on
   the systems I look after, but I'd really appreciate it if it were the
   default for a "fresh" Debian 0.92 installation...

I'm perfectly happy with the current arrangement (obviously :) because
(1) setuid/setgid binaries are now mode [42]711 for security reasons,
which makes them stand out in `ls -l' output, and (2) setuid/setgid
files are now checked daily via cron and compared with the previous
day's results.

But... if others feel the same way I will consider the change.

   > (Would it be wise to start the user UIDs at 500 instead of 100?  I
   > don't forsee much of a conflict after 500, but I can at 100...)

As suggested earlier, I will use 1000.

Ian Murdock <imurdock@gnu.ai.mit.edu>