Re: Guidelines

On Thu, 17 Mar 1994, Bill Mitchell wrote:

> I suggested that the .tgz file for all packages include a
> CHANGES.debian.version file (version starts at 0 and increments with
> each new debian release of that package-release).  This file would contain
> the following information:
>
>     A.  The origin of the source code distribution kit
>     B.  The identity of the person packaging the distribution for debian
>     C.  The version of the compiler used to produce the package
>     D.  The version(s) of all libraries linked in
>     E.  A debain-specific release designation the CHANGES file of this
>         distribution (e.g., less-177.debian.0).  This would only
>         appear in the CHANGES.debian.version file, it need not effect
>         other filenames in the distribution.
>     F.  The CHANGES file should contain  step-by-step narrative of the changes
>         made to package distribution files in order to produce this debian
>         distribution.  This should start with untar-ing the package
>         distribution, and should include any steps taken to configure the
>         package, and non-default responses to configure scripts, and special
>         edits made to package files (such as adding the debian-standard
>         definitions to Makefile, etc.)
etc....

I think that Bill's reasoning is sound (apart from the "vi" to "emacs"
change). The only problem that I have with it is that it might be
ambiguous, whereas a context diff is definitive.. Perhaps both
need to exist, the context diff so that so that anyone can easily rebuild
exactly the distributed binary, and the CHANGES file as a resource to a
subsequent developer.

In any case, wherever the CHANGES file says, "edit file so-and-so", a
context diff is appropriate.

Is Bill suggesting that the CHANGES file is distributed with the binary
distribution? If so, why and where will it be installed?

Charlie Brady * (W) charlieb@tplrd.tpl.oz.au * (H) charlieb@budge.apana.org.au
"Make it as simple as possible - | Tel: (02) 413 6838 ____Telectronics__| /\__
  but no simpler"   Einstein, A  | Fax: (02) 413 6060 Pacing Systems    \/