Yet more bugs in 0.91.

* /etc/rc.d/rc.M should run rc.serial before rc.inet[12], since (a)
serial ports are more "important" and more "local" and (b) some
ethercard drivers go for the first "free" IRQ, so you have to allow
the serial driver to get there first.

* /usr/src should be g+ws and group root or wheel.  In general it
would be nice if instead of having one group for all the users, each
user had their own group (usually when this is done gid=uid, of
course).  This means that you can make the default umask 002 and have
effective shared directories (like /usr/src wants to be - you
shouldn't need to do all the source code management etc.  as root)
simply by making them g+ws and owned by the appropriate group.  I
suppose this suggestion is a bit late for 0.92 ...

* groff is missing some symlinks: nroff -> gnroff, troff -> gtroff and
in /usr/lib/groff/tmac, tmac.s -> tmac.gs, tmac.m -> tmac.gm.  Also,
yacc should be -> bison.

* I got bitten by an unfriendly /var/tmp cleaner that gets enabled by
default, presumably as part of the crond package.  IMO is rather
nasty and should not be enabled by default (especially seeing as many
users will only rarely have their system up and running Debian at
2:30am) - it definitely violates the principle of least surprise.

* A mail alias usenet -> postmaster should be in place.  Also, some
means needs to be found to arrange for mail to root & postmaster to be
routed to the sysadmin's personal account, or it may never be noticed.

* I had a problems making INN - several times I tried to abort the
compilation with ^C (having stty'd sane), but parts of it kept running
and had to be killed repeatedly with killall.  I don't yet know
whether there is a contributory problem in the INN makefiles, but
there's definitely something wrong with Debian.

BTW, I've built INN but not installed or tested it yet.  There were a
worryingly large number of fairly nasty compiler warnings, but I think
I've managed to fix the ones that indicated serious problems.

Ian.