Re: Perl and other issues

> quinlan@spectrum.cs.bucknell.edu (Daniel Quinlan) writes:

> Robert Sanders <gt8134b@acme.gatech.edu> writes:

> >    # Set hostname and domainname
> >    /bin/hostname `cat /etc/HOSTNAME`
> >    /bin/domainname `cat /etc/DOMAINNAME`
>
> Eeeck.  How about:
> /bin/hostname < /etc/HOSTNAME

hostname takes its argument fron the commandline, not stdin.  If
you don't want to use cat(1), you can set up a shell function in bash
to do a read on the file, but it's basically the same thing.

> > 5) If the idea of rewriting dpkg in perl is still alive, I may be able to...
>
> C is much better for this specific task, I think.

Since it has to be small and fit on a bootdisk along with a shell, yes.  Otherwise,
perl is a strong contender.