FTFBS when building build-indep contents in autobuilders (how best fix #445113)?

Hi there,

I've been pondering how best fo fix #445113 which is a FTBFS bug
related to #428876, #435229. In essence the problem is that Snort
includes TeX documentation that gets built for an Arch: all package
(snort-doc) but some architectures cannot build this due to a bug in
gs-common which makes it do a segmentation fault.

This bug is preventing the (old) Snort version available in testing
(2.3.3, from abril 2005) from being replaced with the latest Snort
version (2.7.0, dated 2007).

I initially thought it was a problem with how I defined the package's
debian/rules.
After fixing it to properly define the build-indep, build-arch,
binary-indep and binary-arch targets in the way requested by policy,
uploading version 2.7.0-8 and thinking it fixed I've found that it
still FTFBS in some architectures (hppa and sparc, due to the same bug
in gs-common)

I was under the impression that 'dpkg-buildpackage -B', as used by the
autobuilders only called the build-arch target and not build (which
itself calls both), but it seems I was wrong. Bug #218893 still
stands, and was last discussed in d-devel in july-october 2007 with,
from my POV, no consensus on the use of binary-indep/binary-arch by
autobuilders and how will policy (or dpkg-buildpackage) be improved to
prevent this type of issues and make Build-Indep (which Snort doesn't
use) really useful.

Could somebody englighten me on how best to fix this issue? Do I have
to contradict policy in this package's debian/rules and have 'build'
do nothing and 'binary-{indep,arch}' depend on 'build-{indep,arch}' in
order to sidestep this bug?

Regards

Javier