Re: Disable ipv4 fragmentation

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 17:39 +0000, J HU wrote:
> Dear experts,
>
> I'm working with sockets in a debian with a version of kernel 2.6.x, and I'd
> like to disable the fragmentation of the ipv4 introduce.
> I have read that there was the option of modified the file
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag but it doesn't exist.
> So I'm totally lost and I need to disable that fragmentation or change the
> size to the maximum of 65535.
> Anyone can help me?

Fragmentation is part of IP.  Changing the MTU does not prevent
fragmentation.  Routers and everything in between is permitted to
fragment traffic.

You can set the DF (don't fragment) bit in various ways, but the result
is that routers which need to fragment will instead drop your packets.
IP guarantees that "small enough" packets can be transmitted without
fragmentation, but that limit is a part of the protocol and not
something you can configure.

Thomas