Re: konserve, debram and your initials

El vie, 07-01-2005 a las 16:40 +0100, Alejandro Exojo escribió:
> El Viernes, 7 de Enero de 2005 13:39, Thaddeus H. Black escribió:
> > I lack the knowledge to discern which of your names is
> > your proper family name.  Is your name correctly
> > initialized "A. Exojo P." or "AE Piqueras"?  Pending
> > your advice, I have tentatively entered it in debram as
> > "A. Exojo P."
>
> Hello Thaddeus.
>
> I'm not very familiarized with the purpose of the family name, or with debram,
> so I'm CCing debian-devel-spanish, so they can correct me if I'm saying
> something wrong.
>
> If you can put two words without abbreviate, put Alejandro Exojo, please. If
> you should abbreviate, A. Exojo. The third word is always the second surname,
> and is required in official documents, but normally it isn't used in normal
> life, unless you have a very common name, and a very common surname (which
> isn't my case; Exojo is a very uncommon surname).
>
> I don't have any special reason to put my two surnames on the "Maintainer:"
> field, but is possible that I change this in the future, if leads to
> confussion.

 Well, as you say, when the first surname is quite differentiating you
can put it only if you feel comfortable with that. For example, look at
Jordi or Guillem. They are "only" Jordi Mallach and Guillem Jover.

> > If you would tell me what country you are from and would
> > offer me some brief general advice as to how to read
> > your countrymen's names (including names of married
> > women), this would be educational and appreciated.
>
> Sure. I'm spanish, and here people doesn't change their names when gets
> married or divorced (or at least I never met anyone who did).

 I think you cannot do that, at least if you are a Spanish citizen.
Women keep both their surnames when they get married.

> The complete name is formed of:
> 1. First name
> 2. First surname of the father
> 3. First surname of the mother
>
> As I said previously, in official documents, all 3 parts are required, but
> normally speaking, only the first two are used.
>
> One side note: some people have composed names, so its first name, is two
> words.

 For example, me. :-)

 So following Alejandro's points, it should be splittled as:

  1. José Carlos <- own name
  2. García <- first surname of my father
  3. Sogo <- first surname of my mother

 And there are also people who has compound surnames, as it is the case
of Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña (here is attached with a dash, but you
can also find them unattached or attached with "de[l] [la]" word[s])