Re: RFS: 7kaa 2.15.6+ds-1 and 7kaa-music 2.15-1

On 2023-12-24 at 21:34, Gerardo Ballabio wrote:
> Markus Koschany wrote:
> > Regarding 7kaa-music; while I appreciate all your effort for 7kaa, I still
> believe that for non-free music Debian is not the right place, even it is part
> of Debian's non-free distribution.
>
> In general, I agree.
> However, if the music is part of the original game, then I believe
> that an exception may be warranted. Indeed, the game may be perfectly
> playable without the non-free music. Just as a game may be playable
> without extra non-free levels, scenes or characters. I understand that
> generally that kind of contents is allowed into non-free, so I don't
> see why music should be treated differently. If we want to give users
> the choice to enjoy "the original game experience" if they are willing
> to use non-free, that requires providing the original music too.

Thanks Gerardo.  Indeed, it feels to me like 7kaa-music is being treated
differently than even other game audio that is already in Debian
non-free as I listed before, as well as non-free levels, graphics, game
scripts, object models, etc. as you say.

And personally, having music in Debian non-free doesn't bother me nearly
as much as having non-free code (again, in addition to many other
general packages in Debian non-free, I listed several unmodifiable game
software packages, most of them binary-only, most of them maintained by
this very team, so why should 7kaa-music be the red line here?).  Again
personally, I'm more comfortable listening to music I'm not allowed to
remix than I am running (or supporting others running) a game binary I'm
not allowed to maintain (uses OSS for sound, segfaults with newer glibc,
and doesn't run under Wayland on ARM? oh well, can't play that anymore),
fix (crashes when clicking on a building? consider it a handicap that
you can't use that building), or audit and patch for vulnerabilities/
backdoors.

But as I said, I do respect Markus's work and commitment to free
culture, so I won't push any further for him to sponsor it if he doesn't
want to.  I'll hope to find another DD for this one.

I do admittedly feel weird campaigning for the inclusion of non-free
anything.

--
Patrick "P. J." McDermott:  http://www.pehjota.net/
Lead Developer, ProteanOS:  http://www.proteanos.com/