Re: openrct2 & game-data-packager

  Thanks for the info!

On Thu, 2023-12-07 at 15:25 +0100, Alexandre Detiste wrote:

> We try to support the old - unpatched - CD someone
> would find on a flea market or their parent's basement;
> not only the fully patched GOG.com version

  The nice thing about openrct2 is that it's totally eliminated the
need to patch any of the original game's logic or support for newer
versions of Windows -- that's all been reimplemented. It solely depends
on the graphical and audio assets.

>  roller-coaster-tycoon2-data should provide
>  a minimum viable game without the extensions
>  that may not be available on CD1

  I've got an initial version of changes to the yaml that successfully
generates roller-coaster-tycoon2-data from my copy of the CD. I don't
have either of the expansion packs on CD, only via GOG installers, so
if someone else has those hopefully they'll be able to add the
additional .cab files pretty easily.

> roller-coaster-tycoon2-wacky-worlds-data
> & roller-coaster-tycoon2-wacky-time-twister-data
> are stubs for the expansions packs, on Debian & Debian-derived
> systems, the "expansion_for:" will be turned into a "Depends:"
> relationship at build time

  I'm working on adding the delta between the initial CD version and
GOG installer with both expansion packs. For the time being I've
combined roller-coaster-tycoon2-wacky-worlds-data and roller-coaster-
tycoon2-time-twister-data into roller-coaster-tycoon2-wacky-worlds-
time-twister-data since the GOG installers don't differentiate the two
expansion packs. If someone has just Wacky Worlds, they could break up
the file lists back into two distinct packages.

> If some graphical/sound/scenario assets have been changed,
> thet can be handled by "alternatives:" tag.

  There's a ton of modified .DAT files between the CD and GOG versions.
:( Most of them are just a few bytes different in size -- I don't know
if it's just an artifact of repacking or something else. Guess I'll
become familiar with alternatives!

> https://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/3481/7/49297/download
>
> This one patch is not supported, unless someone wants to spend
> days reverse-engeneering RTPatch. (non-free xdelta alike)

  No need for this anymore! :) There are other free (but not DFSG-
compatible) DLC asset packs, most notably the "Panda World" scenario
that maybe we could add at some point down the road.

> >   OpenRCT2 can also directly import original RCT scenarios/tracks
> > if people have the RCT installer(s) available. Since there's no
> > game engine for just RCT, what would be the best way to build a
> > .deb(s) for those game assets as well? Extending the RCT2
> > definition, or adding a separate one for RCT?
>
> I think that roller-coaster-tycoon2.yaml will get really long
> & overwhelming when this is dones so it's better
> and cleaner to have a separate roller-coaster-tycoon.yaml.

  Currently 4k lines and growing... after getting RCT2 fully defined, I
can start on a RCT definition as well.

> MR welcome

  I'll submit one hopefully in the next few days with the updates I've
been working on.

Mathias