Re: mvdsv, a QuakeWorld server (ITP: #862954)

On Wed, 08 Jun 2022 at 19:45:42 +0200, Lee Garrett wrote:
> > I didn't intend
> > quake-engine-server to imply that the server is fully compatible with
> > the original Quake netcode, only that it's a server for the Quake game
> > (as opposed to, I don't know, Nexuiz or something).
>
> So do you think I should do this distinction with virtual package names?
> Or rather change it to "Provides: quake-engine-server"?

I think it would be better to make mvdsv behave the same as
darkplaces-server: provide quake-engine-server, and install a
quake-engine-server alternative with priority 0.

(Using priority 0 ensures that whichever server was installed first
"sticks" and becomes the preferred alternative if you have more than one,
avoiding arbitrarily jumping between implementations if you install a
higher-priority alternative later, which would mean serving a different
protocol and losing access to custom configuration from the previously-used
implementation.)

You might need to patch it to accept and ignore a "-dedicated"
command-line option, because that's part of the specification of
quake-engine-server at the moment: some implementations like quakespasm
act as a client if not given that option, while other implementations
like darkplaces-server accept and ignore it, so the quake-server wrapper
script unconditionally passes in that option.

The only other command-line options that are required to be supported
are "-basedir BASE", but I see mvdsv already implements that.

    smcv