Alien Arena, bug 944264 - outdated version

Hi,

We reported this a few years ago after we went to Steam with a new release that is not compatible anymore with the previous 7.66 release. It means that all servers run at least 7.70 and each client running 7.66 or lower can't connect to them. In the Debian and Ubuntu repositories still 7.66 is used.

I wasn't aware at first a new release was needed, so I created that on 23 January 2021, 7.71.2.
https://svn.icculus.org/alienarena/tags/7.71.2/

There was also a build problem that some of you might have run into, but it's easily fixable with a compiler flag "-fcommon", see the latest addition to the bug report.

The game is currently dying, the community is very fragmented and I see frequently players in IRC that run 7.66 or even lower (so single player mode because there is no server that supports this). Who could have run 7.71.2 if they are on Debian/Ubuntu and then would have been able to connect to our servers.

See this bug report:

I hope there is someone willing to help out with this fun game. It's also free on Steam but we can't reach those people who might not realize they are running an obsolete version of the game.

Kind regards,
Raoul / Jar-El

P.S. If you need me you can also reach me on discord or matrix:
https://discord.gg/Rd5fwBg
https://matrix.to/#/#alienarena:matrix.org