Re: Could somebody think of packaging wrysum. I could help with testing :)

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 01:33:08AM +0000, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> On 28/06/2022, Matija Nalis <mnalis-debiangames@l.voyager.hr> wrote:
> > Did you have any further progress on this, shirish?
> >
> > I see you almost got there:
> > https://github.com/Andrettin/Wyrmsun/issues/177#issuecomment-1059825123
> >

> I don't want to install it in /usr/local/bin or /usr/local . It should
> install as a regular package.

Of course; but that is the wanted *end result*, when the Debian package
is created. But, for .deb to be created, there is some packaging work that
needs to be done.

I do volunteer to do that packaging work, but only if someone else
shares the load of doing other parts, which are:

- checking if the game can compile and install (without installing a
  lot of external dependencies like libraries)
- the games runs without major problems (eg. at least several levels
   are playable, no crashes etc.)

I was hoping you would like to help with that two parts (compiling
and running), before I commit to do the packaging (I'd like to avoid
doing all the work to package something, only to find it later that
it is so buggy to be useless, or that it requires many extra
dependencies which would all have to verified/packaged first)

> It somehow feels dirty and then when you have to remove something like
> $ sudo rm -rf /usr/local/bin/wrsym or something like that with no idea
> if anything is elsewhere.

If is dirty, yes. You can avoid it in several ways:

- use checkinstall(8) to create hackish .deb package for your testing
- use virtual machine to create extra Debian system and test there
  (so you don't care if it's dirty as you'll just destroy and recreate it later)
- use debootstrap(8) and chroot(8) to create copy of the Debian for testing
- make it install in one specific directory when you can easily "rm -rf" later

> I much prefer the standard way of purging packages.
>
> $ sudo aptitude purge wrysum.

I'm guessing checkinstall(8) would suit you best. I haven't used it
in ages, though (I mostly use chroot or VMs, but it is more work to
setup)

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.