Re: UQM (The Ur-Quan Masters) needs help? (bug #999132)

On Sat, Jan 08, 2022 at 11:59:49AM +0100, Stephen Kitt wrote:
> <mnalis-debiangames@l.voyager.hr> wrote:
> > Note: in the longer term, I'd like to offer more help for that specific game
> > (sentimental reasons), like fixing some lintian warnings and updating to
> > newer release. That have been attempted about a decade ago (with patches),
> > but haven't got a reponse from maintainer (#640881).
> >
> > What would be a respectful way to proceed there; could Debian Games Team
> > offer support? I would be willing to put work in to help move this forward.
>
> Ideally, yes, the game would end up maintained by the DGT; but the respectful
> way to do that is to get Dmitry’s agreement. The next option is the salvaging
> process; see
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#package-salvaging

Thanks Stephen!
I've read up on those and also https://wiki.debian.org/PackageSalvaging

I think "uqm" and "uqm-content" should be eligible for salvaging.

Especially, multiple of following requirements seem to apply:

- There is no visible activity regarding the package for six months, OR
- A previous NMU was not acknowledged, and a bug justifying another NMU is pending for one month 1, OR
- The last upload was an NMU and there was no maintainer upload within one year, OR
- Bugs exist for more than one major missing upstream version and the first bug is older than one year

In addition to open bugs: #640881, #483637, #1007556 for which I've
contributed (pending) fixes, I've also tried contacting Dmitry directly
by e-mail on 2022-01-20 and 2022-02-16, with no response so far.

If I understand correctly, one needs to be DD (or at least DM?) to start the salvaging process

(e.g. "Note that the process is only intended for actively taking
over maintainership. Do not start a package salvaging process when
you do not intend to maintain the package for a prolonged time")

I myself am quite willing to put the effort needed to keep this package bugfixed and up to date
for prolonged time; however I'm not DD/DM myself.

I've prepared MR's at Salsa for both packages (which are waiting for
someone to merge them) to update to new upstream versions, fix
obsolete packaging, clear up lintian warnings, add autopkgtest etc.:

https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/uqm-content/-/merge_requests
https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/uqm/-/merge_requests/4

Those seems to work for me, but need someone to merge them / sponsor
the packages.

I guess it needs someone from Debian Games Team to start the
salvaging process? Would you Stephen be willing to help
(given you've helped with those packages before)?

How can I further help move this further?

Thanks in advance to anyone with ideas on how to improve this,
Matija

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.