Re: bug 944264

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 30.01.2021, 00:21 +0100 schrieb Raoul de Raadt:
> Hi,
>
> I understood the people involved in the alien arena package are more
> active on this mailing list than on irc so hence this e-mail.
> Do you have enough to be able to continue with this bug?
>
> Last week I created a new release, you can find it here:
>
> https://svn.icculus.org/alienarena/tags/7.71.2/
>
> The current alien arena package in debian is already outdated since end
> of 2017 which makes playing online impossible.
> It would be great if it can make it in the next release and preferably
> in a backport for bullseye as well.

Thanks for for your interest in keeping Alien Arena in Debian up-to-date.

I have probably mentioned this a thousand times already but maintaining a
Debian package, regardless of being a game or server daemon, requires real-life
people.

Ideally there would be someone from the Alien Arena community, who likes
Debian, would prepare Debian updates. I am sure this would increase your
chances to get a new release into Debian. I'm willing to sponsor updates of
existing packages if they are of good quality.

The problem is there are very few people who seem to care for Alien Arena in
Debian at the moment. If we want to address this problem, we need more
contributors who like games and want to spend some of their free time on
maintaining them. Otherwise we will see a decline of supported games in free
software distributions in the long-run.

Regards,

Markus