Re: Re: Sponsor request for 'Open Surge'

Hi. Upstream here.

> From what I've seen in Open Surge it seems this is another example of upstream copying random files from the web and pretend to have the permission to create derivate works from them and redistribute them

Let me clarify a few things. We never "copy random files from the
web". The "copyright issue" you have raised is not valid.

Johan Brodd (aka jobromedia) has created the song Minds Wide Open
(theme.ogg) for Open Surge. He joined our project years ago and
contributed with his musical talent.

Free content is very important to our project and I talk to artists
about it. I have talked to Johan about his music and he has agreed to
release it under the public domain. Unfortunately, Johan passed away a
few years back (we have even included a RIP in our credits screen).

While not directly related to musics/theme.ogg, in a forum thread
dated from December 2011 I explain to Johan about free content and
then he decides to release his files under the public domain:
http://forum.opensurge2d.org/viewtopic.php?id=1114

Regarding musics/theme.ogg specifically, I invite you to take a look
at a screenshot of a private conversation between me and Johan, where
he expresses gratitude for having that music included in the game:
http://forum.opensurge2d.org/misc/jobro_theme.png He is a deceased man
now, but he has made that music for Open Surge, and it's free. He
cared and he has provided great free music to our project. The
inference that our project "copies random files from the web and
pretend to have permission" sounds disrespectful to me and to
everybody who has contributed content.

Let me also clarify that our C source code is released under the
GPLv3, but our artwork is mostly under the CC-BY 3.0. We also have a
few files under the public domain and under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 (check
our credits screen). In addition, we have a scripting system called
SurgeScript inside the game; scripts written in SurgeScript (.ss
files) are released under the MIT license.

We have never re-licensed any CC-BY-SA 3.0 content to the GPLv3.
Artwork is not code. Years ago I read about a claimed incompatibility
between the CC-BY-SA and the GPL, but I have learned since that this
doesn't hold. My understanding is that they are compatible and can be
mixed in a game. The popular SuperTux mixes CC-BY-SA artwork with GPL
code, as can be seen in their README
https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux

I hope this sorts it out. If you find any issues, I'm open and willing
to help. I too would like to see our project in Debian. What has been
claimed, however, is a non-issue.

Finally, I would like to ask you all, and in particular Carlos
Donizete, to wait until the upcoming 0.5.2.0 release before uploading
the package.

Happy new year,
Alexandre