Re: Games wiki / alioth

Am 31.10.2017 um 14:16 schrieb Phil Morrell:
> Hi team,
>
> I was wondering how up to date the games wiki is in general and also
> if there's a plan needed for the announced alioth retirement? Some
> pages give the wrong impression about how the team seems to operate,
> and others give out of date instructions.
>
> e.g. https://wiki.debian.org/Games/Meetings claims that the team uses
> regular meetings to coordinate ideas and goals
> e.g. https://wiki.debian.org/Games/UT99 makes no mention of G-D-P,
> which I believe is now supported by the version in testing

Hi,

I believe there will be some sort of migration process of our current
Git repositories but it is too early to know all the details. The same
goes for accounts and ACLs. At least it is a good opportunity to start
from scratch and remove non-active members.

The wiki is in general free to edit and we have only limited control
what content is added to it. For instance
https://wiki.debian.org/Games/UT99 was created by someone who is not a
member of this team. Everyone can edit pages, so if you find some
outdated or even wrong information, please update it.

The last team meeting was in 2013. [1] Most important topics were new
member recruitment and the Jessie Release Goal [2]. The original idea
behind that was to attract new members and find something simple to work
on for everyone like creating desktop files and better icons for games.
Despite the fact that a dozen interested people turned up, we never
managed to make this a real team goal. In the end I was the only one who
worked on it.

The reality is that there is no real team at the moment. On paper we
have more active members than most other teams but our interests differ
vastly. There are single games, libraries and applications which are
maintained outstandingly and then there are hundreds of games which just
exist and receive an update once in a blue moon if they are lucky.

> I'm still feeling my way around debian (and been quiet recently), but
> am hoping to increase my involvement, especially in the Games Team -
> if reviewing the wiki would be helpful I can consider that.

My general advice to you is:

Find something you are really interested in and stick to it. A clear
intrinsic motivation really helps to overcome any obstacles. At the
moment we need regular contributors the most who are interested to fix
bugs in all existing team maintained packages, respond to bug reports
from users and update games to the latest upstream version on a regular
basis.

You can also choose to maintain your favorite game and to do it well or
maybe you are interested in improving the documentation. The wiki
wouldn't be the worst place to start in this case. I believe the whole
games section would benefit from a more streamlined entry page. Like I
said in the beginning pages about single games should be kept separately
from the main topics "Who are we", "How can you contribute", "Goals", etc.

Regards,

Markus

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Games/Meetings/2013-08-17
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Games/JessieReleaseGoal