packaging game servers for Debian?

Hi all,

I recently read about how gamers are asking the Copyright Office in
the USA for an exemption to the DMCA aimed at preserving game servers.

https://torrentfreak.com/gamers-want-dmca-exemption-for-abandoned-online-games-171221/

This reminds me that Debian often focuses on the client side of gaming,
even for games that use some sort of remote service for some parts of
the game experience. This means that if the remote services go down
then the games we package will be less enjoyable and even unusable.
To combat that, we might want to adopt the policy of encouraging
upstreams to release their server-side code and packaging it so that
multiple servers can be easily setup.

Does anyone have any examples?

Examples from me:

primrose has a high score and game replay server written in PHP that is
available in the Debian source package but I never took the time to
make it easily deployable via a Debian binary package.

I avoided packaging Jason Rohrer's newer games because many of them are
heavily dependent on networked multi-player.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise