Re: Ongoing lugaru packaging

On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 10:41 +0200, Vincent Prat wrote:
> Le 23/05/2017 à 23:17, Martin Erik Werner a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got some questions regarding the lugaru packaging:
> >
> > 1. I have removed the wrapper launch script, which means that when the
> >    package is updated, the user will need to manually move the old saved
> >    profile and saved games. I have not tested if using the configs from
> >    0~20110520.1+hge4354+dfsg-4.1 works in 1.2, and I'm tempted to treat
> >    them as incompatible in order to be able to drop the launcher script
> >    and not worry about migration.
> >
> >    What's your opinion?
> >
> > 2. For the orig source tarball, what is your plans there?
> >
> >    The watch file is currently set up to grab the generated tarball from
> >    the git tag as .gz. However upstream also distributes a source
> >    tarball as
> >    https://bitbucket.org/osslugaru/lugaru/downloads/lugaru-1.2.tar.xz .
> >
> >    I'm tempted to use the latter, being more "official", and a few
> >    megabytes better compressed?
> >
> >    Are we dropping pristine-tar completely, and relying on uscan as the
> >    way to get the orig source?
> >

> > Apart from that, I'm starting to feel like things are getting close to
> > done, what do you think?
> >
> > --
> > Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>
> >
> Hi,
>
> For the watch file, I agree with you.
>
> Pristine-tar and uscan are not incompatible.
> Why do you want to drop pristine-tar?
>
> We are getting pretty close, indeed!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent

Oh. I was assuming that removing the gbp.conf and the todo item
regarding pristine-tar was an implicit drop by you. If not, I'd be for
continuing to use it.

I'm wondering how to handle the 'upstream' branch in the Debian repo in
this case.

We could make it just be point-imports and use the standard
git-buildpackage workflow where the Debian repo is history-wise
disconnected from the osslugaru repo going forward.

Or we could track the osslugaru repo and merge from its tags, with some
workflow considerations[0].

Which do you prefer, or do you have another alternative in mind?

[0]
If we want to link the two, since osslugaru tends to branch off into a
maintenance branch before each release we could have a Debian setup with
the 1:1 branch mappings
'osslugaru/master' -> 'debian/upstream'
'osslugaru/v1.2' -> 'debian/upstream-v1.2'
etc. and merge from osslugaru release tag into 'debian/master' on point
releases.

For pristine-tar imports, we could either import-orig and merge to
'debian/master' without making the import part of any branch (as done
already in 724f7a6). Or, as long as osslugaru tags match 1:1 with the
orig source, we could skip the import-orig step completely and just do
the tarball data commit to the 'debian/pristine-tar' branch.

--
Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>