Re: About your minetest-mod-* packages

On 03.06.2016 12:55, Dominik George wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> But notice that things might not go as smoothly as you hope : if you
>> need to request proper releases to upstream, you'll only be able to
>> work
>> when you planned if and only if both conditions hold: upstream answers
>> directly and the answer is "I just did it" or "I won't do it"...
>
> I see no benefit in getting upstreams of minetest modules to do releases. From experience, most won't, and that's also not how things are done in the gaming world.
>
> I also think your getting a mesecons release was pointless - it's just a random commit that got a name. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think upstream did anything special for it, it is not a stable release or anything. So picking a commit myself is just as good.

In fact many gaming projects do releases. Even in 2016 a tarball is a
well defined snapshot of your project. Most releases are also
accompanied by some sort of news file or changelog that inform users in
plain English about the recent changes whereas Git users are forced to
track important changes themselves. It is true that the Minetest
community often urges people to clone Git repositories but this is
rather a sign of immaturity. So yes, please ask those mod developers for
regular releases because they are beneficial for users and maintainers.