Re: New libode version

Hi,

[I have trimmed the CC list quite a bit on the basis that it's the
games team who actually maintain the package]

On Wed, 2015-09-09 at 14:30 +0200, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> I have been working with libode and I have done some changes. Some important
> changes.
>
> * New upstream version. I have packaged 0.13.1~git20150309 because this
> version contains a patch to select the libccd of the system instead the
> internal version. Now that we have libccd I have preferred to check out that.
>
> * New Soname. Upstream uses 4 as its Soname, instead the 1 that we use in
> debian. I have not check it it, and I don't know if they are binary
> compatible.

I had a brief look, a few symbols were removed so the soname does need
to change.

>  But, I'm almost sure that with gcc5 it will be incompatible with
> the previous version.

There doesn't appear to be any public C++11 symbols exported by libode
so its ABI is not affected by the libstdc++ transition (it just needs a
rebuild).

> * Dropped sp and dp versions. I have used this criteria: 64 bits platforms
> double precision; 32 bits platforms single precision.

There is a reason libode is built for both double and single precision.
See bug #534177

Also why are 64-bit platforms 'better' at doing double precision
floating point math?

>  So, if I'm not wrong,
>
> Debian Archs 32 bits: armel, armhf, i386, powerpc, powerpcspe, sh4
>
> Debian Archs 64 bits: alpha, amd64, hppa, mips, mipsel, ppc64, ppc64el, s390x,
> and x32
>
> If I have done some mistake, please tell me it, because it has been a bit
> laborious to obtain this info.

You want 'dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH_BITS' - this will ensure
you package still works if any new architectures are added (also mips
and mipsel are 32-bit).

> * This change has simplified the rules file. No soname hacks, double
> compilation, etc.

In the rules file, you should also be able to remove all the CFLAGS
(and other flags) handling since debhelper will sort it all out for
you. Debhelper will also set prefix, mandir and libdir for you (when
building an autotools package).

Use should use dh-autoreconf instead of autotools-dev.
See this page: https://wiki.debian.org/Autoreconf and bug #752463.

Why are you removing debian/ode-config.1 in override_dh_auto_clean?

> * I have still pending to rewrite the copyright file. As it's a boring and
> tedious work (necessary ...) I would prefer to have some kind of sponsor
> before.
>
> * Still pending to MultiArch. But the work is half done.
>
> * Added myself as Uploader
>
> So, please, could some of you review it, comment it, and possibly be an
> sponsor (after revision)?

A few more things:

There is a syntax error in debian/control (blank line in top section).

libode0c2 and ode-dev do not exist anywhere in Debian anymore so you
don't need to conflict/replaces against them.

Do not conflict/replaces libode4 against libode1 since it prevents
clean library transitions. There doesn't seem to be any file conflicts
in the two packages anyway.

debian/changelog does not contain an entry for version 2:0.11.1-4.1

> Best regards,
>
> Leopold
>
> PD lintian is clean or errors. Some warnings but.

Most sponsors will require all the errors and warnings to be fixed (or
a valid reason why they shouldn't be).

Thanks,
James