Re: LordsAWar! version 0.3.0 released

Hi Ben,

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 5:22 AM,  <bing@nym.hush.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/2015 at 8:16 AM, "Markus Koschany" <apo@gambaru.de> wrote:
>> However next time please bump your release version
>>whenever you
>>make a change. Otherwise people might get confused that their 0.3.0
>>version is not the same as the one in Debian. But no need to do it
>>for
>>your latest changes now.
>
> Sorry, I don't let distros that get involved at a late stage pollute my version namespace.
> I'm aware of the pitfalls with this approach, and I manage the risk.

Just to clarify, we aren't requesting that you release a new version
incorporating changes from Debian (although it'd be appreciated, I can
understand how that could create unwanted work for you); we're merely
asking that our upstream counterparts avoid re-releasing different
tarballs with the same version number. It's really just an issue of
accountability/traceability; we want to be able to verify that our
source tarballs are the same as the ones distributed upstream.
Re-releasing a different tarball (with a different hashsum) as 0.3.0
means that other distros who have already packaged 0.3.0 are now
distributing source tarballs that are not the same as the
corresponding upstream tarball, and that's bound to cause confusion
for both distro maintainers and their users. We're ok with carrying
patches until you choose to release a new upstream release; please
don't feel compelled to update an already released tarball with our
patches. Thanks for considering!

Regards,
Vincent