Re: Concern about racism and sexism in Supertuxkart 0.9

On Fri, 1 May 2015 23:47:01 Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Thanks for this summary of your position. I absolutely agree with your
> point of view.

It is true that women could be portrayed more respectfully in many computer
games.
However discussions about moral censorship in commercial gaming industry or
even historical background of women image in computer games do not belong
here in debian-games mail list.

> The question is if this is reason enough to ban the game
> (or parts of the game) form Debian. IMHO this should be discussed (as
> it's done now) with upstream and the Debian Games Team and it should
> ultimately be their decision to take. That's IMO how Debian works.

There is nothing to discuss as there were no convincing case presented but
merely an opinionated complaint.
A young Caucasian female with no dis-proportionally large features (except
eyes) and no makeup (as she depicted in poster and screenshots) is
not a problem and should not be a problem even for those people whose moral
views are not calibrated in the alignment with general population.

> If it's possible and someone is volunteering to do the work I
> would appreciate if the sexualised content would be removed from the
> Debian package once the version containing it is being packaged for
> Debian.

I object to such blatant moral censorship. Using word "sexualised" is
inappropriate and overly dramatic regarding new supertux game content.
Game benefits from pretty artwork which should not be removed merely because
minority living in bomb shelter picking up on Supertuxkart while they are
obviously not offended enough by ads on bus stops, train stations etc. not to
mention things like sexualised Bratz girls and Barby dolls in every
supermarket. Let's re-open subject of censoring Supertuxcart after similar
complaints to bigger abusers like advertisement agencies, supermarkets, TV
networks and magazines are addressed.

Actually I think I know something much more offensive to women:
a de-sexualised female character showing no skin with her face hidden behind
hijab. Somehow when I compare the latter and bikini (which seems to be an
issue for some) it is not the bikini that I associate with abuse of women
rights and freedoms.

Not every complaint deserves to be answered and this one already got too much
attention IMHO.

--
Cheers,
 Dmitry Smirnov

---

The foundation of morality should not be made dependent on myth nor
tied to any authority lest doubt about the myth or about the legitimacy
of the authority imperil the foundation of sound judgment and action.
        -- Albert Einstein