Re: Concern about racism and sexism in Supertuxkart 0.9

On 05/01/2015 01:10 PM, Miriam Ruiz wrote:

Actually it is not inappropriate in a age rating perspective.
It's rather : a game that was presented as a family game and which had
a non human cast for years is now adopting the stance of an
heterosexual male point of view.
It's virtually accepted everywhere in the world since 95% of the video
game industry does it, actually Nintendo does it since their first
console after the video game industry crisis around 1985.
It also happens that since Nintendo did it, the number of women in
STEM slowly decreased to the point where it is now virtually accepted
everywhere that it's a male only field.
I strongly thing both phenomen are tied, I personnaly got interested
in computer science because I was curious about how the game I played
worked and wanted to reproduce and modify them.
And I think I'm not the only one. Actually I think most people in STK
dev team are in this case...

Of course having 8 women in bikini in a track doesn't prevent a little
girl to play the game and enjoy it, and working in STEM later but she
will have more difficulty to feel welcomed by the game.

It also happens that the video game community that grews with gendered
games is currently harassing female video game developpers to make
them resign and threaten developper that want to use their artistic
freedom
to introduce non sexualised female or "politically correct" playable
character in their game.

I absolutely agree with you here. I'm not sure if there's an easy way
to fix it at the moment. Some people are slowly starting to get it,
but even talking openly about these issues usually comes back with
severe backslash, at least for women who complain. Just remember last
year's #GamerGate.

No, the pushback comes from plainly stating that your thoughts must/should be followed. And, your comments regarding the males of the species could just as easily be directed at homosexual / bisexual women, who you failed to target as well. So much for the women's equality notion.

You all just don't GET Linux. "but even talking openly about these issues usually comes back with severe backslash, at least for women who complain" You betcha, women that DO STUFF are listened to. I don't listen to nor respect MEN that just complain either.

Go forth and do as you wish. I encourage that, I really really do. Then, and only then, will you empower women. Be BOLD! Fork the game, substitute those several images, re-release it under a new name. Of course you will have to FIX IT as I cannot get it to run, from the released binaries or from the source code, as I get a GLEW error while I use the nvidia driver. :) Ric

p/s What does gamergate (GG) have to do with this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcWm4B3EU4

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html