Monster Mechanics

Hello,

I would like to package Monster Mechanics for Debian, as I find it a
quite pleasant toy. The game's subject is building a creature out of
body parts that fights other creatures. However scary that sounds, I
believe that the game can be considered harmless due to the abstract
comic graphics it presents. The game seems feature complete to me.

Monster Mechanics was created by Daniel Pope and Andrew Kelley for the
Python game programming contest Pyweek in September 2011.

Screenshots and code for Pyweek: <https://pyweek.org/e/psd/>
Git repository: <https://github.com/andrewrk/MonsterMechanics>

Monster Mechanics depends itself on Pygame (python-pygame), Pyglet
(python-pyglet) and the Python bindings for the physics engine Box2D
(python-box2d). All the dependencies are packaged in Debian already.

I did find a single bug: Monster Mechanics crashes on some keyboard
input, like the German character “Capital sharp s” (ẞ) and the X11 keys
XF86Back and XF86Forward (“back” and “forward” in browser history). I
sometimes hit these keys on accident as they lie near the arrow keys.

Daniel Pope and Andrew Kelley, as authors of Monster Mechanics, would
you tell what the license of the game is supposed to be? According to
the README it is “GPL3 <”, which could be read as “GPL, version 3 or any
later version”. Also, do you have any idea on how to fix the keyboard
input crash bug? I can provide more detailed info on it if it helps.

Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals, I have CCed you since “apt-cache search
pyweek” told me that you are the maintainer for the lightyears package,
which originated as an entry for Pyweek. Would you help me package
Monster Mechanics for Debian and possibly sponsor the package?

Greetings,
--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>