Re: ufoai

On 19.09.2014 21:44, Tobias Frost wrote:
[...]
>> The three data packages are all part of the same game and they had to be
>> split because of size and functional reasons but they wouldn't make
>> sense without the ufoai source package.
>
> Well the lintian message says "split of an *existing* Debian package",
> which is not the case here. On the other side, they are different source
> packages, so there would be a point for an ITP.

As I already stated above the game data had to be split in different
source packages but those source packages belong all to the same game
hence they are all covered by ITP bug #244582. The existing package is
clearly the ufoai source package.

In my opinion ITPs are useful to indicate that people work on packaging
certain software for Debian, so that double-work can be avoided but they
are not meant to become some sort of bureaucratic exercise. They should
always be filed before someone works on new software. Since the game has
already been packaged, now filing new ITPs would simply be busywork.

If you read through #244582 you will also notice that I mentioned the
reasons for the package split in this bug report. Thus it became clear
for everyone that #244582 is about all four source packages.

Regards,

Markus