Re: Packaging from github upstreams

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 02:25:54PM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> I agree with you. In those cases I usually do 0.0.git20140917 , but
> anything along those lines would work.
>
> If you already know the number of the next release, whenever that will
> happen in the future (say, for example, they are preparing release 2.4 but
> it won't be released for a while and you prefer to get it from git), I tend
> to use 2.4~git20140917
>
> If a previous release has already been published (say 2.3), but you prefer
> to get the code from git as it is substantially better, you can use
> 2.3+git20140917

I think I agree with this. I was going based on a document I read a while
ago, but this seems a far better way of doing it.

The important thing to make sure you get right is that versions follow the
correct "order" so that when newer packages are available they will be
installed in place of the older packages.

Iain.

--
e: irl@fsfe.org            w: iain.learmonth.me
x: irl@jabber.fsfe.org     t: +447875886930