Re: Packaging from github upstreams

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 09:06:37PM +1000, Steven Hamilton wrote:
> Are there any principles or guidelines on how to handle games where
> upstream is hosted on github or similar hosted git service?

Does upstream tag releases in git or is there some concept of stable
releases?

If they don't have version numbers, you can make some up, likely based on
the date. For example, a package based on git as it is today could have the
version number of 20140917-1 where -1 is the Debian package revision.

As for importing the source, you should clone the git repository and create
a .tar.gz to work form, then do "git import-orig" as normal. There is no
reason to use the --pristine-tar flag for this, as the pristine-tar delta is
practically worthless being that it's a repacked .tar.gz and not the
original.

More experienced people should feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Iain.

--
e: irl@fsfe.org            w: iain.learmonth.me
x: irl@jabber.fsfe.org     t: +447875886930