Re: Unteralterbach visual novel (was: Re: Introduction)

> Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org> writes:
>> in the web page, and reading the comments in previous mails. I find
>> your description of the game very disturbing, and I'm thinking that it
>> may be even be triggering for some people.
>
> I would like to avoid that problem by clearly labeling the game package,
> similar to how fortunes-off is labeled ("Please do not install this
> package if you or your users are offended by depictions of [...]").

Yup, we'd certainly do that in the description of the package. It is
important that anyone has a clear idea of what it is before installing
any package.

> I remember having read a page about a more formalized game labeling
> effort of the Debian Games Team, but I could not find the web page.

It's something I have been looking into for a while, but it hasn't
been implemented up to a usable level for the moment, and I have never
been sure if there was demand for it, or if it was just a crazy idea
of mine:

https://wiki.debian.org/OpenRating

>> Having read your report, even if someone decided to package it, I
>> wouldn't advise to include it in the archive without speaking
>> beforehand with lawyers that could advice us on the possible risks.
>> I'm not familiar enought with the law in different countries to know
>> what's allowed or not, but from your analysis I fear that by
>> distributing it we might be puting in risk the administrators of some
>> of our mirrors, and I'd like to be sure that's not the case. On the
>> other hand, it's almost impossible to make something that it's not
>> illegal in at least one country in the world. For example, I would be
>> a strong supporter of having LGBT-themed games in the archives, and
>> they might not be legal in Russia.
>
> I agree and consider it a bad thing if anyone suffers because of this.
>
> How are these issues handled currently?

I honestly don't know. Probably the DPL might have an idea, or maybe
someone in Debian Legal.

Greetings,
Miry