Re: Love2d Game Packaging Policy

On 10/01/14 13:46, Paul Wise wrote:
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Steven Hamilton wrote:

https://wiki.debian.org/Games/Love2d

I note that .love files are zip files containing LUA code and data and
that in the only package we have containing them (so far), they are in
the source package instead of created a build time. This means that
Debian cannot apply patches easily at build time. The demo ones I
looked at seem like they are missing source for the data also (vector
images pre-rendered to PNG). Do the games all have this issue? Is
there anything we can do to convince upstream to fix it and encourage
a culture of actual source distribution?

The supported method of love2d game distribution is to bundle everything into the one file. The fact that it's interpreted and the source code "is" the final build makes this easier. Personally I think it's great, but it is clearly different to how the majority of software is delivered into the debian packaging workflow (as something that needs compiled).

The bad thing is, as you say, it makes it awkward for us to bugfix the code inside the package. It's not impossible though and I'd expect an extension of the standard I've proposed can be written to handle that, when it occurs.

The good thing is, as you say, it's awkward for us to bugfix and we should push bugs upstream and get them fixed there.

I'm too new at this to be bothered about the lack of graphics source that builds static images. To me it's a binary image file produced by another binary file through some tool or process. During the build process do we build inkscape first before developing the vector file that produces the PNG? At what level of turtles do we stop?

I expect this argument has been had here a hundred times already so I'm happy to be pointed at something that convinces me of the importance.

Back on your question. Yes, I'd expect all games will have this issue. Love games are like the indie of indiegaming. It's used in game jams and for rapid protyping. I have had favourable responses and license changes by the Mr Rescue dev's but came up against a "FU" attitude from the Mari0 guys. It's hit and miss as to how FOSS friendly they are.