Re: Packaging from github upstreams

Hi again,

Remembered a couple of things.

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 12:52:39PM +0100, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> If they don't have version numbers, you can make some up, likely based on
> the date. For example, a package based on git as it is today could have the
> version number of 20140917-1 where -1 is the Debian package revision.

If they later move to stable releases, you can put 2: in front of the new
version numbers. This means that even though 1.0 is less than 20140917, it
would still be seen as the latest package to be installed. The new version
number would be 2:1.0-1 in that case.

> As for importing the source, you should clone the git repository and create
> a .tar.gz to work form, then do "git import-orig" as normal. There is no
> reason to use the --pristine-tar flag for this, as the pristine-tar delta is
> practically worthless being that it's a repacked .tar.gz and not the
> original.

I didn't see at first that it's github. GitHub does have .tar.gz snapshots
available for download for the latest commit and you can use them instead of
building your own. I would say it would be up to you then whether or not to
generate the pristine-tar deltas.

Iain.

--
e: irl@fsfe.org            w: iain.learmonth.me