Re: packaging vcmi

Hi josch and welcome,

On 17.03.2014 16:35, Johannes Schauer wrote:
[...]
> I'm not a DD so I will need a sponsor for vcmi. It would be nice if I could
> join the pkg-games team and maintain vcmi in git on alioth. You can see my
> first attempts of packaging it here:

That would be great. You just need to register an account on alioth and
ask for joining the team there.

[...]
> I so far failed to solve the lintian hardening warnings. I can't figure out why
> the vcmiclient binary does not generate them while other binaries which are
> built by cmake in the exact same way do.

I tried to build your package in a cowbuilder environment but the build
is stuck at 7% and seems to require more than 4 GB RAM. However I can
see that hardening flags are passed to the compiler, so perhaps the
lintian warnings might be a false-positive. What did blhc report for
your .build file?

> The game needs bitmaps, animations, texts, sounds and videos from the original
> game (though sounds and videos are optional). There exists a big modding
> community for vcmi but the programs that are so far used by artists were
> created many years ago, only run on windows (some work under wine) and do not
> come with any source code. Therefore, I created some python code which can
> unpack the game files into commonly editable formats (png and json) and repack
> them into the proprietary formats.

At first glance that means vcmi must be uploaded to contrib. We had a
recent discussion about game engines and interpreters and we seemed to
agree that those can be in main as long as there is free game data
available either in Debian or somewhere else. That means if you can
provide enough free content for demonstration purposes, then vcmi might
be even suitable for main.

Anyway it is a good idea to document your efforts to create free content
somewhere and write down what kind of data is missing to achieve this
goal. That makes it easier for other people who want to work on it too.

> Here is the code and two videos demonstrating the successful unpacking,
> modification and repacking of all graphical elements:
>
> https://github.com/josch/lodextract
> https://mister-muffin.de/p/kpyL.ogg
> https://mister-muffin.de/p/hSF6.ogg

Nice feat and a great idea to provide these scripts. I'd suggest to ask
upstream for including them. As noted above, if you are able to create
enough free content that demonstrates the capabilities of vcmi, it might
be even suitable for main.

Regards,

Markus