Box2D: providing .pc files even if upstream does not?

Hi all,

and now to something completely different. I have updated Box2D to the
latest upstream version two months ago and it is almost time now for an
upload to unstable.

Box2D is a 2D physics library and currently we provide a .pc file for
pkg-config although upstream doesn't provide one. In fact they won't
provide support for that and closed a corresponding bug report as "wontfix".

http://code.google.com/p/box2d/issues/detail?id=91

I tried to reopen this bug report but I got no response. Box2D ships a
cmake file instead and they claim that supporting CMake is sufficient.
My question is:

Should we continue to ship a .pc file and diverge from upstream here  or
drop pkg-config support to avoid angry bug reports like

https://bugs.debian.org/715796

for the tinyxml package?

Regards,

Markus