Re: source for artwork

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 04:01:59PM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>  The "preferred form for modification" phrase comes from the GPL, and I
> don't see redeclipse covered under the GPL?
>
>  Can we please not apply GPL terms to non-GPL work, pretty please?

The reason everybody does that, is that it seems to be the only place
where "source code" is defined.  And it is a reasonable definition, IMO,
regardless of what license is used.  Do you have a more appropriate
definition for non-GPL code?

If you do, it might also be a more appropriate one for GPL code, by the
way.  After all, we're not testing license compliance, but compliance to
our own free software guidelines, which are not the GPL either.

> [1] When people complained about the non-free license of the Debian
>    swirl, nobody did anything to get all the swirl graphics that live in
>    packages in main removed from the archive.  Why should be we more
>    strict on stuff that isn't even ours.

Good point.  However, for large amounts of artwork it is IMO different
than for a single icon.  The difference is mostly in how reasonable it
is that people will want to edit the work.

Thanks,
Bas