Re: RSF for speedpad

Dear Salvo Tomasell,
I am a Debian user and one who attempts to check what new games are
being included in Debian. What I am sharing is just my own
observation. I am not part of the debian-games team but more as a
user.

To your query what it would imply if speedpad is maintained by
debian-games team the best answer would be borrowing from
https://wiki.debian.org/Games/Team

"The purpose of the Debian Games Team is to coordinate, share common
problems and solutions and to maintain games collaboratively. " -
debian-games team wiki page

1. The idea is if the game is team-maintained than whatever bugs for
the game come, they are addressed to the team rather than the
individual.
2. Also as you are sharing the workload with others, you can have some
slack time at times, while at others when others are busy, you work on
your game as well as any other game which is under games-team .
3. Also getting sponsorship for getting a new game inside debian
should be a much easier process as people trust the team.  Also as
more people going over the code (code-review) building that trust is
far more easier.
4. Many a times we have transitions in debian where a library is
transitioned through a whole debian archive. For e.g. we are in the
midst of boost transition from 1.49 to boost 1.54 for jessie.
http://release.debian.org/transitions/html/boost1.54.html

Now if the game is team-maintained and such a library transition
occurs then anybody from the team could make a NMU upload to ease the
transition as well as avoid future problems. This would be faster than
a lone person doing it simply because of lack of time. It's not easy
being on top of things all the time.

You can see https://wiki.debian.org/binNMU . You could also take a
look at https://wiki.debian.org/LowThresholdNmu as well.

The only downside I see, if you are part of team then you cannot take
any unilateral decisions. If you at some point are burnt out or wanna
take a break, you would need to communicate the same to the team. Also
some politeness would be expected of you as you are part of a team.

This is just top of my head. Paul Wise (pabs) would be the arguably
the best person to answer this query though, as he has been part of
the team for a long time and has been around Debian for a long time.
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17