Re: Bugs: Please Build-Depends on libpng-dev, change from libpng12-dev

Hi Anton,

> Our team has may bugs [1] "Please Build-Depends on libpng-dev, change
> from libpng12-dev". It's easy to resolve and I think they will be a good
> start for me.
> 0. Make a fix in debian/controls and add (closes #xxxxxx) to the changelog.

It may be not such simple as it looks like.

I did small work for libpng12 --> libpng15 transition for orphaned packages last
summer. API was changed a bit and special patches for some packages are necessary
for libpng >= 1.5.

But now I do not see libpng >= 1.5 in Debian archive, so I do not know how to
check build with newest libpng and if such check is necessary.

> 1. I should check all and make commit in the local master. Should I add
> any tags?

No. This will be done by DD or DM who will upload updated package.

> 2. Push to git.debian.org to the master.

Hmm, I am not sure what all maintainers will be happy to see unexpected commits
in their repositories. It would be a good idea to send messages with prospective
patches to related bug reports and to wait a bit.

> One more question: Should I add my self to uploaders in debian/controls
> if I changed only package dependency?

No. I suppose that team upload [1] is that you are looking for.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu-team-upload

Best wishes,
Boris