Re: Looking for a sponsor for a new game 'curseofwar'

On 19.07.2013 21:04, Anton Balashov wrote:[...]

> I want to impove my deb maintance skills and be helpfull for community
> and may be for your team in future.

Hi Anton,

(I am not sure if you are subscribed to the list already, hence my CC.)

i can't sponsor your package but here is my first impression and some technical
suggestions how you can improve your package at mentors.

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/curseofwar/curseofwar_1.1.4-1.dsc

A good idea is to use lintian which will help you with fixing the most common
packaging issues.

Add this to ~/.lintianrc.

info=yes
display-info=yes
display-experimental=yes
pedantic=yes
show-overrides=yes
color=auto
verbose=yes

and then run

lintian curseofwar_1.1.4-1_amd64.changes

after you have built the package.

- changelog: You should close your ITP bug simply with
  Initial release (Closes: #717348)
- You should use compat level 9 and build-depend on debhelper >=9 for
  automatic hardening build flags.
- debian/control: the short description shouldn't start with an A and
  you can also omit the full stop.
- Please install your binary to /usr/games and not to /usr/bin
- You might want to fix those outstanding "hyphen-used-as-minus-sign"
  issues in your man page like you already did with the other ones.

Makefile:

$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $(EXEC) grid.o state.o king.o network.o output.o client.o server.o main.o $(LDFLAGS)

The order is problematic. Better use

$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) grid.o state.o king.o network.o output.o client.o server.o main.o -o $(EXEC)

to avoid a FTBFS with binutils-gold.

You can improve your watch file for github a little by using the following version,
kindly stolen from one of Bart Martens' watch files and adjusted for your package. :)

version=3
opts=dversionmangle=s/(\da?)[\+\.\-~](?:dfsg|debian|ds|repack|repacked)\.?\d*$/$1/ \
https://github.com/a-nikolaev/curseofwar/tags \
.*/archive/(?:upstream/)?(?:v||version-|release-|X|R|r)(\d\S*)\.tar\.gz

You should add a desktop and menu file and icons to your package, so that it is visible
in all desktop environments. Take a look at the nettoe package which is quite similar
to yours.

Finding a sponsor for your package can be a daunting task sometimes, so please be persistent.
I suggest you add your package to the sponsors queue.

https://wiki.debian.org/Games/Sponsors/Queue

Hope that helps a little

Regards,

Markus