Re: game-data-packager: why not?

On Sat, 25 May 2013 23:12:41 Simon McVittie wrote:
> > On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:38:39PM +1000, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> >> Finally in my case one source package for game data shall produce
> >> dozen binary packages with their own descriptions and dependency
> >> relationships.
>
> What's in these packages, and why are they separate?

That's a long story... Game data shipped in over 40 zip files
providing different campaigns with complicated relationships. Some
mission depends on common high-resolution pack that in turn may have
optional music and/or UI enhancements pack(s). Some campaigns may
depends on other campaigns or missions or even have their optional
music or high-res graphics packs. Finally some campaigns are
standalone and doesn't have to be installed all-together...

> At the moment, quake3-data contains files from two sources: the
> freely-downloadable-but-vaguely-licensed update, and the
> definitely-not-distributable retail CD. With hindsight, I think this was
> a bug: we should probably have had "quake3-patch-data" and
> "quake3-pak0-data", because they're produced from different "sources"
> (and "game-data-packager quake3" should be willing to produce and
> install either or both, depending what data you supply). We shouldn't
> bother with separate packages for pak1 and pak2 (both part of the
> patch), though, because when you download the patch, you get both anyway.

That's right I also had some cases when original game data from CDs
and data provided by GOG must be packaged in a different way so I
ended up making two source packages just as you've said.

> For Freespace 2, I can see that the "retail" game and the "MediaVP"
> graphical upgrade ought to be separate data packages - the MediaVP gets
> refreshed occasionally, whereas the retail game is a fixed-point. What
> else?

Yes there is "static" original/old game data and additional packages
providing miscellaneous campaigns and enhancements with complicated
relationships/dependencies...

> Is the editor separate, perhaps?

I'm not sure about editor, I didn't have a chance to check development
tools yet...

Regards,
 Dmitry Smirnov
 GPG key : 4096R/53968D1B

---

Another philosopher suggests that saying prayers is equivalent to
believing that the universe is governed by a Being who changes his mind
if you ask him to.
        -- Steve Allen On the Bible, Religion and Morality, 1990