Please consider maintaining Blends information (Was: Bullet Physics Library)

Hi Markus,

please excuse my shameless plug to steal your thread for a completely
different but IMHO urgent topic which is also relevant for Debian
Multimedia as well as Games.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:11:32AM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
> during the last months i have adopted a few games for the Games Team and

Cool.  Did you ever checked whether these games are properly mentioned,
classified and thus advertised to the public at the web sentinel of
Debian Games[1]?  The last changes on the games tasks files were done by
me (even if I'm not involved in Debian Games and thus perfectly
incompetent in categorising games) at 2011-11-27[2].  It would be really
great if somebody in the Debian Games team would consider having a look
at this effort which is really brain dead simple (just add a line

    Depends: <binary_package>

to a file and be done - longer doc is available as well[3])

The same is perfectly valid for Debian Multimedia: Last change was done
at 2011-07-27 (by fsateler)[4] and those both teams are missing a really
big chance to get new users / developers by failing to drive by the
Debian Wheezy release notes which is regarded by a large user base all
over the world.  IMHO it is your choice to tell the world:

  Hey, there are people inside Debian who care about Games / Multimedia
  and we have all this cool stuff for you.  Debian wants to be one of
  the big distributions in this field.

or you can keep on doing your admitedly fine technical work in your
teams which are really studious but shyly hidden inside the large
package pool of Debian with 30k packages.  If you like a proof that
making some noise about what you are doing you might like to have a look
at this questionaire[5] where ten developers (=one per year of the
existence of Debian Med project) confirm that they are only for one
reason DDs: because Debian Med project exists.  You can also have a look
at the teammetrics graphs of Debian Med[6] to see this effect if you can
not believe that even a leaf project with a potentionally small user
base like medical care and biology can gain some traktion inside Debian.

I do strongly believe that if you - as projects which potentially *way*
more users than the leaf project Debian Med - try to make some basic
effort in advertising your nice projects to the world by simply using
the tools that are available for Blends (and there is even a skeleton
ready to use available in [2] and [4]) you could get a lot of more users
and developers into your boat.  Please do not miss this chance and take
care about this stuff a bit more.

More details about this in my talk at last FOSDEM ([7] - including link
to video recording of the talk) which is rather about the strategic
effect of running a Blend than the technique which is very simple and
is documented anyway[3].

Kind regards

      Andreas.

PS: I'm not subscribed to debian-devel-games@lists.debian.org - please
    CC me in case of questions.

[1] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/games/tasks/
[2] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/blends/projects/games/trunk/debian-games
[3] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/
[4] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/blends/projects/multimedia/trunk/debian-multimedia
[5] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Developers
[6] http://debian-med.debian.net/
[7] http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/201302_fosdem_distro/

--