Re: ufo-ai: can we make it?

On Fri, 05. Jul 23:58 Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@member.fsf.org> wrote:
[...]
> Any volunteers to investigate?
>
> Markus maybe you could have a look? For some strange reason I thought
> about you first... ;)

Haha, note to self: Stop being so cheerful and you can avoid a lot of
work. :P

Just kidding. Looks like an outstanding game and a challenge.

It appears the UFO developers care a lot about tracking and documenting
licenses. A very promising and highly active project. If this page was
correct, http://ufoai.org/licenses/, we would only face issues with
content that is licensed under CC-BY-SA-2.0 and CC-BY-SA-2.5. We are
talking about eight sound files and seventeen images. I am optimistic
here and think it should be doable to remove or replace them.

I had a brief look at the source code with licensecheck -r and it seems
everything is licensed under the GPL without exceptions.

Possibly the greatest problem is the huge size of the data files. The
source tarball is uncompressed ~900 MB large. If we were lucky we could
compress all files by 20-25 %. I haven't followed the discussion about
data.debian.org and i am not sure if we need it for UFO.

In short, looks like a promising and complex free software game which
could improve our games portolio for sure.

Regards,

Markus