Re: brain party: DFSG-package

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your contribution to Brain Party.

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 06:48:13 Markus Koschany wrote:
> I've commited some changes to the git repo, tested the games and tried
> to beat the high score. (i'm glad i've found the cheat code)

:)

> Things i have changed:
>
> The short description was a little bit too long (> 80 characters).
> What do you think about: "36 puzzle games for all the family" ?

Thank you, it's better.

> I have also shortened the long description of brainparty-data but made a
> remark that the package includes more than 400 images and sounds.

OK, although I doubt this remark carry any useful information.
(would you install the game only because it has >NNN images?)

> I have extracted the changelog section from the README and added an
> override_dh_installdocs section to debian/rules so lintian stopped
> complaining.

Very nice Thanks.
Nowever it should be done in get-orig-source so ChangeLog would be shipped as
part of DFSG-repackaged orig.tar.

> I've added one missing copyright holder and myself to copyrights.

Sorry, I wouldn't be so sure about missing copyright holder.
Indeed Scott Ewart that you added as copyright holder is listed in CREDITS
file however there is nothing to suggest that he holds copyright for any
particular file. Moreover, you've totally made up the copyright year.
I think we should have a solid foundation for copyright information and
inventing copyright years doesn't seems like right thing to do IMHO.

There is nowhere in upstream files I could find a proper copyright statement
claiming copyright for Scott Ewart's work.

> I checked the licenses again but couldn't find any mistakes, all the
> non-free sounds were removed, nice job.

Nice, thank you for double check.

> The .desktop file and .menu file were updated. I think category
> LogicGame is a better place. I've also added a longtitle.

Agreed.

> Installed the manpage as brainparty.6 and not .1.

Ops., thank you for correcting my mistake.

> And i added a patch which changed the relative configuration path of
> .brainparty to a variable one in the user's home directory. Saving and

Awesome and fantastic, much appreciated. :) :)
(I didn't test it yet...)

> All in all the package is dfsg free, it works and the games are fun.  If
> you agree, i can convert the RFS bug report to an ITP and start looking
> for a sponsor. I'd be glad if you joined later as another maintainer of
> brainparty. I haven't removed you from Uploaders yet.

I'm definitely staying as maintainer. I like this game and I will be available
for help.

The game have another problem though. Before looking for sponsor could you
please have a look (if you have required skills) why game is using so much CPU
when idle? It's probably a bug which would be nice to fix before upload.

Also Markus, please forgive my ranting but I've noticed you converted
repository to git-buildpackage layout and merged upstream source and media
content with packaging. This is the only thing that I don't like about your
changes.

I deliberately tracked only BrainParty packaging in git and I feel it is
absolutely unnecessary to commit all the game data and source for redundant
tracking even if you're sure there is no DFSG-incompatible content.
I specifically wrote get-orig-source target to get DFSG-repackaged orig.tar
and if you wish to build using git-buildpackage you could do it as long as you
have orig.tar in tarball-dir.

Some time ago I've checked it with the following .gbp.conf:
#####
    [DEFAULT]
    builder = pdebuild --debbuildopts "-i\.git -I.git $*"

    [git-buildpackage]
    tarball-dir = ../
#####

Another problem is with upstream ChangeLog: best way to introduce it will be
by adding it to DFSG-repackaged archive. However now I'm not sure how to do it
since you've committed "upstream" and "pristine-tar" branches. I would prefer
if we keep those branches local (if any). IMHO they do not have to be in
public repository. After all we may get away with it only because upstream
doesn't have much of multimedia content. I prefer get-orig-source to pristine-
tar whenever I have to deal with DFSG repackaging.

Any chance you consider dropping upstream files from packaging please?

Regards,
Dmitry.

P.S. Feel free to CC me so I shall reply faster.