Re: Should we have some NMU/commiting guidelines?

On Sun, 2012-03-25 at 14:03 +0200, Martin Erik Werner wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 19:24 +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > 2012/3/20 Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>:
> (...)
> > > Should DDs and pkg-games members who want to improve packages..
> > >
> > > 1. Contact maintainer before committing?
> >
> > In my opinion, yes, both the maintainer(s) set as uploaders and the
> > list itself, so that other members of the team are also aware.
>
> Are you saying here that we should contact AND wait for an ACK before
> commiting? Or merely notify but not wait for response: "Hey maint+list,
> I committed a fix for foo, FYI, I can revert if you don't like it."?
>
> Likewise for uploading, should one ask about an 'OK' before uploading,
> or just notify when the upload is being done?
>

> I have started a wiki page at
> http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS/Guidelines
>
> As of now I have written it based on:
> * Info in debian/README.source overrides guidelines
> * Ask but don't wait for 'OK' before commiting
> * Ask and wait for 'OK' before uploading
>   - If no answer -> NMU/MIA
>
> Note that these are picked based on my interpretation and compromise of
> the comments so far, it's just a draft.
>
> Please feel free to edit and discuss!

After speaking with Ansgar on IRC, it's now 2 v 1 (as I interpret the
comments) in favour of uploading not requiring an 'OK' being the
default. Hence I have changed the wiki to reflect this:
http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS/Guidelines

So now the basic gist is:
* Info in debian/README.source overrides guidelines
* Ask but don't wait for 'OK' before commiting/uploading
* Act on maintainer objections

I would like to make these guidelines official, does anyone have any
objections to announcing them in their current state?

--
Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>