Re: Analysis of "Nikki and the Robots" dependencies

On Tuesday 20 March 2012 23:05:53 Paul Wise wrote:
> Unfortunately some build-depends don't match Debian versions so I
> cannot build it yet.
>
> Is there an automated way to convert haskell build-depends names to
> Debian Build-Depend and then check which ones are not installable?

I don't know of an automated way to do this.

I believe, some of the version constraints in src/rootInstall/nikki.cabal
might be stricter than they could be. Unfortunately some constraints are
needed. I went through the list of deps:

- Hipmunk: Older versions contain space leaks. Also, versions <= 5.2.0.6 don't
compile with ghc-7.4.1, I think.
- sfml-audio: older versions won't typecheck
- FindBin: I am not sure, but I think there was a bug in versions < 0.0.5.
- clocked: Older versions have different APIs or different (worse) behaviour.
- deepseq: There are instance clashes when using versions < 1.3

I see no problem with loosening the other dependency constraints as long as
everything still typechecks.

Cheers,
Sönke

(I am not subscribed, so please cc me!)