Re: Best practices for OpenGL ES

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 02:28:19PM +0100, Tobias Hansen wrote:
> * Most systems with GL (and shaders) provided by Mesa also support GLES(2).

Do you have examples on how this is done?

Last time I checked, I could only find Mesa's EGL
src/egl/opengles2/tri demo which display a triangle through OpenGL ES
shaders + GLES2 EGL initialization, and I couldn't figure if:
- it happened to work in an OpenGL non-ES environment or,
- if Mesa was truly enforcing OpenGL ES mode

Also I wonder how the existing libraries/frameworks (SDL, SFML,
Pyglet, etc.)  behave in that regard (Do they support OpenGL ES-only
GPUs? Can they initialize an OpenGL ES context?).

> So do you think there's value in providing GLES2 packages on all
> platforms in addition to the GL ones?

Alternatively, can the packages detect the OpenGL version at runtime
and act accordingly?

Cheers!

--
Sylvain