Re: Requesting removal of bzflag

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Arno Töll wrote:

> I'm closing bug #655226 for now. The package is in bad shape, but there
> is a newer upstream version available solving the issue. So, instead of
> removing bzflag from Debian, I'd suggest to package a new upstream
> version instead, as outlined in #649144 which would come around the
> issue noted by the reporter.

Scott, are you interested in joining the Debian games team to take
over the Debian bzflag package from Tim Riker since he seems to be
MIA?

We had a short discussion with upstream (#bzflag on freenode), see below.

<pabs3> TimRiker: ping! the Debian package of bzflag misses you and
needs updating!
<JeffM> pabs3, yes we know, it is unmaintained and is being removed from debian
<JeffM> if we get a stable maintainer we'll have it re-added
<pabs3> we (the Debian games team) are hoping the removal will not happen
<JeffM> we may just run our own apt repository
<JeffM> then you need to take over maintainership of it
<pabs3> so is TimRiker missing in action around here also?
<JeffM> blast007 has done some work on getting the thing to build
<JeffM> he is less active and has said he has not time to make a package
<JeffM> his current responce is "anyone can make a package"
<JeffM> so yes he's efectivly MIA
<pabs3> in this bug, it was claimed that bzflag development has
stopped, is that the case? http://bugs.debian.org/655226
<JeffM> it ain't going really fast
<JeffM> and yes blast requested that
<JeffM> I do not know when or if we will ever have another release
<JeffM> we have serious project management/motivation issues
<pabs3> :(
<JeffM> there has been a lot of talk of just making a new project to
replace bzflag
<JeffM> using more modern tech
<JeffM> I'm trying to push us in that direction
<pabs3> would that be in the same sf.net project or a new one?
<pabs3> do you think blast007 would be interested in joining the games
team and taking over the Debian bzflag package?
<JeffM> I would like to make it a new one
<JeffM> it would be simpler to just have a new name
<JeffM> he may
<JeffM> he was working tward that goal but he may have become
frustrated with the dificulty of it
<JeffM> and the fact that apt isn't the best way for us to distribute a game
<JeffM> we don't realy have "security" releases
<JeffM> so it's very important to us that everyone be on the same version
<JeffM> because that's the version the servers are runing
<pabs3> that doesn't mean old versions aren't useful, for playing
against friends for example
<JeffM> possibly
<JeffM> it does mean the use is very limited
<JeffM> unlike say something like a text editor
<deansu> it would still be in testing and unstable, ubuntu pulls its
packages from both, and it may also be possible to have backports for
stable
<deansu> it also doesn't sound like, at least with bzflag, that you
have a very fast release cycle either
<JeffM> oh god no
<pabs3> JeffM: thanks for the info about TimRiker, do you mind if I
quote this conversation on the Debian games list and to the Debian MIA
team?
<JeffM> that's why we asked for it to be pulled, we arn't updating
<JeffM> pabs3, have at it
<JeffM> 2.4 was released only after we saw that 3.0 had stalled
<JeffM> and it was a few small changes to the existing codebase
<JeffM> and nearly daily proding of people to get it done
<JeffM> after that the interest droped right back to where it was, gone
<JeffM> personaly I'd like the game to self update like minecraft with
dev flags to have it pull from a repository instead

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise