Re: Red Eclipse "missing sources"?

On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 21:39 +0100, Guest One wrote:
> In this bug http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=651752 i read:
>
> "This package contains the data content, e.g. maps, models, textures, sounds,
> etc. for Red Eclipse
>
> This will go in non-free due to missing "sources" (and not due to licensing)."
>
> Can you tell me which sources?

(I packaged Red Eclipse for Debian)

If you read the DFSG to also require "source" for all media content (and
most people in Debian do), it implies that for example images created
via GIMP would need to have the original xcf-files available, models
created in Blender would need to have the original blend-files, music
created by combining samples in audacity would need to have the original
samples available, and the corresponding audacity project file, etc.

I've guesstimated that for Red Eclipse, it might be possible to get the
"source" for maybe 30% of the media content, with considerable effort
and time spent. I felt that it would not be a particularly useful
exercise, and decided not to do so.

Hence why redeclipse-data is non-free.

Now it should be noted that some games that are already in Debian would
fail this test, so it seems that the strictness of this has increased
lately, and is not normally being applied to already-in-Debian games.
There's also an impression that the FTP masters might be a bit less
strict than thhe above interpretation, so it's a bit of a grey area,
from what I have gathered.

It's also a subject which has been discussed to death without (in my
opinion) a clear concensus.

For Red Eclipse, I've taken the best/worst case scenario (depending on
your side) and called it non-free.

--
Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>