Re: Should we have some NMU/commiting guidelines?

On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 02:46 +0100, Tobias Hansen wrote:
> Am 20.03.2012 01:44, schrieb Martin Erik Werner:
> > Hello pkg-gamers,
> >
> > Commit access for all DDs have now been enabled for the pkg-games
> > repositories. Based on a brief discussion with Pabs on IRC, we figured
> > it would be nice to announce this to the debian-devel list or so, but
> > also noted that it's not really clear what things DDs are expected to
> > with the acces.
> >
> > It might be relevant to have a set of team guidelines regarding how we
> > want our repositories to be used by non-maintainers of that particular
> > package.
> >
> > I'm thinking that these guidelines should include both DDs and other
> > members of the pkg-games team.
> >
> > The questions, as I see them, are:
> >
> > Should DDs and pkg-games members who want to improve packages..
> >
> > 1. Contact maintainer before committing?
> >
> > 2. Commit freely, but let maintainer do the upload?
> >
> > 3. Commit and upload freely (though of course notify maintainer
> > appropriately)?
> >
> > 4. Also follow a per-repository "override"?
> >    - $ echo "Please notify maintainer before committing" > README.source
> >
> > 5. Only commit/upload freely in some cases, RC bugs for example?
> >
> > Should different policies apply to DDs and pkg-games members?
> >
> > Or, one could argue that it will always be a judgement call and
> > guidelines won't serve any purpose in most cases.
> >
> > What do you think?
>

> Hi,
> I think DDs and pkg-games members should be allowed to commit freely.
> Upload if the maintainer dosn't object within a week after being
> notified. Optional per-repository override are fine, too. So I'm in
> favour of making the guidelines quite welcoming.
>
> Best regards,
> Tobias

That sounds like a reasonable policy in my ears too, but I think that
more people need to chime in on this... *nudgenudge*

I'd be up for making a draft of the guidelines once we've had some kind
of concensus.

--
Martin Erik Werner <martinerikwerner@gmail.com>