Re: megaglest package

Hi,

I still don't understood how to handle the copyright the right way.
A year ago we were forced to use GPL-3+ because our embedded ftpserver had  GPL-3+.
Before MG was GPL-2+. Now as you say, we have a mixture of many licenses.
But isn't it the right way to release with one license? All things we used stated that they can used with all later GPL versions!

Did I got it wrong or can't we collect all of them under the GPL-3+ (what we did )?
so
BSD licenses, LGPL, MIT, Public Domain, GPL-1+,GPL-2+,GPL-3+ all together make GPL-3+ in result?
I don't want to fiddle around with a bunch of licenses, as this is one of the most annoying parts!
So what can we do? ( Or did i got the whole problem wrong here ? )

For the embedded copies:
font/flag: we don't distribute debian only ;-) and not even linux only
source: I think this was needed becasue we(more softcoder) modified it and or the version handling was very bad and things like this.
We did not copy things for fun ;-D .

>megaglest/debian/copyright is incorrect, not everything is GPL-3+.
>Most things appear to be GPL-2+, some appear to be GPL-1+ and others
>name a license that does not exist (but presumably intended to refer
>to the GNU GPL). Other files have no copyright/license statement. Some
>files are in the public domain, or licenced under the
>2-clause/3-clause BSD licenses, LGPL, MIT or other licenses. You can
>avoid documenting some of this stuff by removing all the embedded
>code/font/flag copies.

>Please implement automated rendering of the data from the source data.
Its really ok to provide the blender files for the models but automated generation from blend files will for sure never come as it is nearly impossible! Blend files are not this kind of source as sourcecode is!
some reasons:
- As far as I know .blend format is no real standard and can change !
- .blend is not a format to hold models! Its a format which holds everything blender can do.
- not all our models are available in .blend format, because we either don't have them, or they were made with other tools! (3dsMAX ad I heard of a google tool too!)
- the blend files don't contain every bit of information needed. For example I just scaled or rotated a tree to get a different look inside the game without saving before exporting ...
- animations don't have begin/end frames stored in our blend files. You have to look in blender where it starts and stops.

Just one word on streflops:
streflops is really needed for cross platform multiplayer! If its not used even linux 32/64 bit or just another compiler version will make things get out of sync! This MUST be used! It might be possible to compile with out streflops, but this will cause a lot of trouble for all the gamers, because their multiplayer games will get out of sync and the fun is gone ... So be very careful with this ( and newer version of streflops too ). One Release of MegaGlest should be provided with really the same thing here on every platform!

Titus