Re: Packaging data files alternatives

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 at 11:42:07 +0200, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> I hijack this thread because I have a related question. I am somehow
> working on a package  gnome-video-arcade ( something like a games
> catalog browser ) which is greatly enhanced by using extra catalog data
> files.

Is g-v-a main or contrib? How important are these data files for its
functionality?

Perhaps you could Suggest them (or if they're more important, Recommend
or Depend, and move g-v-a to contrib) and put them in non-free?
If they're freely redistributable, you probably don't need to resort to moving
them off Debian infrastructure altogether; non-free would probably be OK.

> 1. write a downloader script to get this files, package the downloader
> script.  The script download the data files in
> /usr/local/share/gva-data-whatever by default ,which is the path
> gnome-video-arcade would look for them.
> 		( As an alternative the downloader script could be distributed with
> gnome-video-arcade )

For a GUI thing, letting each user do this via the UI (automatically
write them to a subdirectory of g_get_user_data_dir (), and read from
the same subdirectory of g_get_user_data_dir () followed by
the same subdirectory of each of g_get_system_data_dirs ()) seems the best
way, tbh.

If you're doing this sort of thing, make sure there is nothing that could be
put in these files that would compromise user or system security or privacy
(in particular, if they can cause arbitrary code execution by the user,
that's bad).